Summer Enrichment, Innovation Spaces & Weekly Boost
Dear North Colonie Families,
Here’s to another week in the record books – with one more to go in the school year. Next Friday, June 25 is the last day of school. Tomorrow, North Colonie schools will be closed to observe the Juneteenth holiday.
Free Summer Engagement For Students in Grades 7-12
North Colonie Central Schools is proud to announce that this summer will be filled with many camp and club offerings for students to re-engage and re-connect. Most of the in-person activities will be hosted at Shaker Middle School. We tried to have something for everyone. The deadline to sign up is 3 p.m. on June 25. Please take time to see what’s being offered and register.
We are excited to announce that our innovation spaces at the middle school are one step closer to reality! Over the last few weeks we have done an internal search for innovation teachers and interviewed many talented and inspired teachers who wanted to be part of such an exciting opportunity for our students. Under the direction of Mr. Gary Cimorelli, district instructional technology specialist, the middle school innovation team will be working throughout the summer to plan opportunities for our middle school students to explore new interests, discover new skills, and drive their own learning.
- Coding and Robotics Lab: Mr. Brian Ashline
- Makerspace: Ms. Catara Vinson-Westbrook
- Humanities Center : Ms. Kaitlyn Chirico
- Health and Wellness Center: Ms. Renata Relyea
- Clean Technology Lab: Mr. Kris Navratil
- Simulations Center: Mr. Mark Kaercher
Please read more about our team. As the summer progresses, we look forward to sharing information with you about our these spaces as well as our elementary innovation spaces!
- 2020 and 2021 Shaker High School Alumni Hall of Fame ceremony: On Monday, we were thrilled to officially induct new members in the SHS Hall of Fame. Congratulations to the 2020 and 2021 inductees! You can watch the ceremony here.
- It’s exciting that Michael Tong, a ninth grader at SHS earned first place in this year’s Virtual Junior Achievement Titan CEO Challenge. It’s a simulation-based competition where students apply their knowledge of business as they compete in the cell phone industry. Read more about it.
- Bravo to Blue Creek students and their Directors Brook Greco and Heidi Quackenbush for this virtual musical, “Let’s Hear It For The Heroes!”
- Take a look at the artwork from seniors in Advanced Studio Art & Design 3 who completed our rigorous 5 credit sequence of visual and media art while at Shaker.
Have a wonderful weekend, I look forward to seeing everyone back on Monday for the last week of school!
D. Joseph Corr
Superintendent of Schools
Category: Archive, District News