Reopening Our Schools – Updates & Information
As we work toward the reopening of schools, this page will contain the most recent important updates and information for our school community. We will continue to update this page and email our families as we learn more.
We know that our students, families, faculty, and staff are wondering what September will look like and have many questions. As of right now, per the state’s guidance, we are looking at a variety of scenarios. Our driving principles as we do this work are two-fold:
- Follow all medical and scientific guidelines to do everything possible to ensure the safety of our community.
- Provide the highest quality educational experience possible for all of our students K-12.
Guidance from the Governor
On Monday, July 13, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the threshold criteria for reopening schools. The Governor will use these criteria to make a final decision on the reopening of schools for the Capital Region and the rest of New York State. This decision is expected to be made between August 1 and August 7.
New York State’s school reopening decisions will be made using these criteria:
- Open: Schools can open in a region in Phase 4 where there is an infection rate at or below 5 percent (14-day average)
- Close: Schools will close if the regional infection rate rises above 9 percent (7-day average)
New York State Education Dept. Guidance
On Thursday, July 16, the New York State Education Department released guidance to help schools and school districts as they plan to reopen, whether that occurs in person, remotely, or in a combination of the two. Read the guidance document.
North Colonie Reopening Plan
The health and safety of our students, our staff and their families is our top priority. We want students and employees to feel comfortable and safe returning to school campuses. We will continue to be in an environment of change and as a result, we will continue to modify, update, and improve this reopening document as needed throughout the year. Read the North Colonie Reopening Plan
North Colonie Reopening FAQ
The district has received hundreds of questions from families since the beginning of July. Read the FAQ page, which will be updated as needed, to find answers to what we know at this time. Read the North Colonie Reopening FAQ
Parent Advisory Council (PAC) Meetings
The district’s Parent Advisory Council meets on Thursdays at 7 p.m. While the district plans for reopening, parents and community members will be invited to these meetings via livestream to learn more about the reopening plans. A link to view the livestream will be sent out the morning of the meeting. It will also be posted on the district website homepage. Below is an archive of recorded meetings.
If you have a question that has not been answered or is specific to your child, please use the email addresses below to contact the correct department:
- Athletics – email@example.com
- Curriculum/Instruction – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Food Services – email@example.com
- Health & Safety – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Human Resources – HR@ncolonie.org
- Mental Health & Wellness – PPS@ncolonie.org
- Special Education – PPS@ncolonie.org
- School Buildings/Facilities – email@example.com
- Technology – ITTechTeam@ncolonie.org
- Transportation – firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a North Colonie staff member who has a question related to your employment, please contact the Human Resources Department at the email listed above.