North Colonie News: March 18
From the Office of Superintendent D. Joseph Corr
A Message from Superintendent Corr to the School Community
As you may have seen in the Albany Times Union, this week there were reports of swastikas being marked on the walls at Shaker High School. On Wednesday we were made aware of the fact that three swastikas approximately the size of a nickel had been drawn on a brick in the LaFollette Cafeteria wall in Shaker High School. When located, these hate symbols were removed immediately. Click here to read Superintendent Corr’s full letter.
Starting next week, we will shift from daily COVID-19 notifications via email to a weekly summary posted under District News on our website.
We are also adjusting the operating hours of our Covid Testing Clinic at the District Office (Goodrich Building). The clinic will be open on Tuesdays and Thursdays 2 to 4:30 p.m.
- Shaker Middle School will present “Rock of Ages” tonight and through the weekend. All performances are sold out!
- Latham Ridge Elementary and Southgate Elementary math teacher Danielle Bornt was selected as a New York State Master Teacher. Learn more about this prestigious program here.
- During today’s Superintendent Conference Day, our teachers participated in various professional development activities. Each school conducted sessions related to the district’s ongoing commitment to offering a welcoming and affirming environment for all students. Some of the activities are highlighted below.
Shaker Middle School teachers visited the Innovation Spaces to learn more about what our students experience as they rotate through the labs. Teachers became students and were given a task to complete using teamwork and problem solving. The goal is to share with teachers the tenets of inquiry based learning so they can see the application of such practices in their classrooms.
- Shaker Theatre will present “Mary Poppins” from April 1 through April 3. It will be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Learn more and buy tickets here.
- Report Your Child’s Absence – We’ve created a simple Google form to streamline attendance. This form must be used to report all student absences (even if it’s not COVID-19 related). Please do not use this form for early/late dismissals. Click here for the Student Absence Form.
- A Board of Education Budget Meeting will be held March 21 at 7 p.m. at Shaker Middle School. A livestream link will be posted soon.
- New York State Grades 3-8 – The NYS Grades 3-8 English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics Tests will soon be administered to students. Learn more about the testing.
- The SAT has been rescheduled for March 26. Students and families should check their College Board Accounts for information.
- Spring Recess is April 15-22.
Category: Archive, District News