North Colonie provides transportation to students in our district who wish to go to private schools, within the guidelines indicated on our request form.
Calendar & Forms
- NP Transportation Calendar
- 2022-23 Non-Public Transportation Form
- 2023-24 Non-Public Transportation Form
The following items should be considered in making a transportation request to a non-public school:
- Section 3635(1)(a) of the Education Law requires a board of education to provide transportation to a non-public school for all pupils residing within the school district who are eligible for transportation on the basis of a distance up to 15 miles, the distance in each case being measured by the nearest available route between home and school.
- Section 3636(2) of the Education Law requires that a parent submit a written request for transportation no later than April 1, each year. In addition, a parent of a pupil not residing in the school district on April 1 shall submit a written request within thirty days after establishing residence in the district.
- A late request must be granted where the requested transportation can be provided under existing transportation arrangements at no additional cost to the district.
- Section 3635(1)(b)(i) requires a board of education to provide transportation from a centralized pickup point, which must be a public school building, for nonpublic school pupils who live more than 15 miles from school, when a pupil residing within 15 miles is receiving transportation to the same nonpublic school. The district is not responsible for transportation between a pupil’s home and the centralized pickup point. However, the district may provide transportation between a pupil’s home and the centralized pickup point if the pupil’s residence is located on an established bus route for transportation to the centralized pickup point and such transportation does not result in an additional cost to the district.
- North Colonie Schools does not provide transportation to non-public schools on days when our public schools are not in session.
- North Colonie Schools does not provide transportation for “Pre-Kindergarten” students, even if they are 5 years old, and even if they have an older sibling on the bus.
- Children who turn five years old after December 1 of the school year, are not eligible for transportation, regardless of whether they are enrolled in a non-public kindergarten program. While some non-public schools don’t have a policy regarding age requirements, North Colonie Schools public school students are not eligible to attend kindergarten if they turn five after December 1.
- All requests for transportation to an approved location other than home must be submitted by April 1. The pick up and drop off location must be within district boundaries, and the same location for all 5 days of the week.
- Daycare requests after April 1 will be approved based on available space and route considerations. Parents are strongly advised to call us before finalizing daycare location plans after April 1. Late requests that increase ride time for other students, or incur extra district cost will not be approved.
Delays & Closings for Non-Public Schools
Transportation to your non-public school is based on your school’s published school calendar, and this district’s school calendar. A non-public school’s announcement of an unscheduled and/or emergency delay or early closing cannot be accommodated unless our school district is operating under the same early closing or delay schedule. Similarly, if our district announces a delay, or early closing, we will only provide transportation per our adjusted schedule on that day.
- Students from other districts may not ride North Colonie school buses. This becomes an issue when students wish to bring a friend home on the bus. Please make other arrangements for transportation on those days.
- Bus Stop Locations: Non-Public School Students’ bus stops will mirror those of public school students in most cases. Please note that students in grades 6-12 may have to travel further to a bus stop than grades K-5.
- New Siblings: All students in the district, whether going to public or private schools, must be registered through the district’s Registrar office. If you have a new student entering the system, you must contact the Registrar’s office at 785-8591, ext 3130. We cannot process your new child for transportation until the Registrar has your child’s information.
Director of Transportation
(518) 785-9486 x 3749
(518) 785-9486 x 3743
(518) 785-9486 x 3747
Fleet Maintenance Supervisor
(518) 785-9486 x 3745
(518) 785-9486 x 3748
Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. – 5 p.m.
445 Watervliet-Shaker Road
Latham, NY 12110