When snow falls, the North Colonie Central School District (NCCSD) wants students, families and staff to know how the district will handle weather-related closures and delays in the 2023-24 school year.
NCCSD has 5 days built in for emergency closings– which include weather events and other unforeseen emergencies.
In the event of inclement weather, we plan to use traditional snow closings. We will also reserve the option (when appropriate) to call a delay for road crews and our own facilities staff to clear roads and walkways. In the case that we have used all reserved snow days, the district plans to use remote instruction to ensure our students meet the mandated number of instructional days.
Morning closings may be announced as early as 5:30 a.m., but usually by 6:30 a.m.
Delayed openings mean all schedules will be delayed two hours. AM Bus pickups will be approximately two hours later than the scheduled time. However, please continue to monitor all opening delays, as they could turn into school closings depending on the weather.
How NCCSD communicates weather-related information
North Colonie families can find information about inclement weather delays, closings or cancellations in several ways including:
- The homepage of the school district’s website – www.northcolonie.org.
- Local TV and radio stations: Channel 6, Spectrum News, NEWS10, Channel 13, FOX23, WGNA (107.7 FM), WGY (810 AM), WYJB (B95.5), WRVE (99.5 FM), as well as http://timesunion.com.
- For district parents and staff, closing information will be sent directly to you via email using ParentSquare. Parents are also able to sign up for text alerts. You can find more information about ParentSquare by clicking HERE.
Colonie Youth Center (CYC)
- If school is delayed or closed, CYC does NOT operate.
- If school dismisses 15 minutes early, CYC DOES operate. If school closes more than 15 minutes early, CYC does NOT operate.
- If school dismisses at the usual time, but after school/evening activities are canceled, CYC stays open. Please be advised that CYC may ask parents to pick up early. This communication would come from CYC (not the district).
Please contact CYC with questions or concerns at email@example.com
2023-2024 Two-Hour Delay and Early Dismissal Times
Shaker High School – 9:34 am
Shaker Middle School – 10:07 am
All Elementary Schools – 11:20 am
For Shaker High School students who attend Votech classes, the following will apply in the event of a 2-hour delay:
- In the event of a North Colonie CSD 2-hour delay AND a BOCES delay, there will be no AM BOCES. Students will need to report to Shaker High School starting with period 5, which will begin at 11:45 on delay days. Students will need to provide their own transportation to Shaker if they opt not to arrive until 11:45.
- In the event of a North Colonie Central School District 2 hour delay, but BOCES is not delayed, students can opt to attend Votech for their regularly scheduled morning session, but district transportation will not be provided to BOCES, but will be provided back to
Shaker. Attendance at BOCES is not mandatory if North Colonie is delayed, but BOCES is not delayed (this would be considered an excused absence from Votech for those that do not attend).
- Afternoon BOCES sessions will run as normal.
Early Dismissal Times Due to Inclement Weather
|Shaker High School
|Shaker Middle School
|All elementary schools