North Colonie News: April 1
FROM THE OFFICE OF SUPERINTENDENT D. JOSEPH CORR
A MESSAGE FROM SUPERINTENDENT CORR
Dear North Colonie Families:
Today authorities held a press conference in Lee, Massachusetts regarding missing Shaker High School English Teacher Meghan Marohn.
There are no new developments and police continue to search for Ms. Marohn. We know this is an incredibly stressful time for North Colonie students, families, and staff. We continue to keep Ms. Marohn and her family in our hearts and minds. She is a valued and loved member of our school community.
Please know that if you need support over the weekend, resources are available. Click here for Superintendent Corr’s full message.
Haroon Syed, a Shaker High School junior, was recognized on Monday, March 28 at the Board of Education meeting as the March 2022 North Colonie Kids Care recipient. Haroon was selected for his humanitarian work with refugees. Read about Haroon here.
Congratulations to Shaker seniors Avi Bagchi, Minyi Chen, Harry Fazzone, and Sagar Sahu, who won first place in the 2022 World Affairs Council of New Hampshire Academic WorldQuest Regional Competition on Sunday, March 13! They competed against nine academic teams from schools throughout New Hampshire, focusing on advanced topics such as climate change, cryptocurrency and blockchain technology, labor, inequality, global health, and various current events. Learn more here.
The World Language Department celebrated World Language Month in March with a variety of activities that explored customs and cultures from around the world. At Shaker Middle School, one of those activities was a poster contest with the theme “Celebrate Humanity through Languages.” Congratulations to third-place winner Julia Cowan, second-place winner Rosemary Hernandez-Merino, and first-place winner Haasini Chamakura. Click here to see more photos.
Shaker Theatre presents “Mary Poppins.” It will be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Learn more and buy tickets for the April 1-3 performances here.
Spotlight News interviewed Amy Kimber, a North Colonie chorus teacher and musical director, about this year’s production. Read “Five Questions: Amy Kimbler” here.
EVENTS, UPDATES & REMINDERS
- All North Colonie families are invited to attend a ‘Paint and Snack’ event on Friday, April 8 from 6-8 p.m. in Shaker High School’s Lafollette Cafe to benefit Shaker High School’s Student Government Gold Card Committee. The Gold Card Program is an incentive program that rewards academic success and involvement in the school community. Learn more.
- We’re hiring! The Transportation Department will hold a “Drive-a-Bus Event” on Wednesday, April 13 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Transportation Office at 445 Watervliet-Shaker Road. This is a great opportunity to test drive a bus and apply in person. We have immediate openings and paid training at $20 per hour. Contact email@example.com with questions.
- Report Your Child’s Absence – We’ve created a simple Google form to streamline attendance. This form must be used to report all student absences (even if it’s not COVID-19 related). Please do not use this form for early/late dismissals. Click here for the Student Absence Form.
- A Board of Education Budget Meeting will be held Monday, April 4 at 7 p.m. (CANCELLED)
- Spring Recess is April 15-22.
Category: Archive, District News