This district shall reimburse district employees, officials and members of the Board of Education for reasonable, actual and necessary out-of-pocket expenses incurred for school- related business upon receipt of a signed and approved claim form or purchase order and itemized receipts. Expenses from the same individual should be consolidated and submitted no more than one time per month. The following rules shall guide the reimbursement of school- related expenses:
- Mileage expense shall be submitted, preferably monthly, but no later than 30 days following the end of the school year, on the prescribed form (see 6830-E.3), utilizing, where appropriate, the standardized in-district mileage chart (see 6830-E.4) indicating the number of miles traveled on district business for each trip, all destinations, and purpose.
- Travel shall be by the most economical method, whether by private automobile, school vehicle or common carrier such as bus, train or plane.
- If travel is by private automobile, mileage shall be reimbursed at the rate approved by the Internal Revenue Service. Parking and tolls, with original receipts, will also be reimbursed, but gasoline will not. Travel from an employee’s home one time each way each day to any District building/property for required district business is not reimbursable.
- Rental car expenses will be reimbursed only if authorized in advance. Original receipts must be attached.
- Board members shall not be eligible for mileage reimbursement for local travel, but will be for out-of-town travel.
- Air travel is only allowed when determined by the Board President or the Superintendent to be in the district’s best interest. Air travel shall be reimbursed at the lowest feasible fare available and shall not exceed regular coach class fare. Travel arrangements should be made as soon as reasonably practicable to avoid payment of a higher fare due to a late booking.
- If an individual’s annual reimbursement for mileage is expected to exceed $250.00, a purchase order should be issued at the beginning of the school year for the estimated amount. Claims may be submitted throughout the year and charged against the purchase order.
Persons traveling on district-related business are expected to secure the most reasonable rate for necessary hotel accommodations. The determination of whether accommodations are “necessary” shall be at the discretion of the Superintendent of Schools. No reimbursement shall be made absent the prior determination of the Superintendent that the hotel accommodations are necessary.
When the rate is predetermined by the organization sponsoring the event, the traveler shall secure a room rate at no more than the pre-determined rate. Hotel accommodations at a rate other than the most reasonable rate or a pre-determined rate described above will be reimbursed only if approved by the Board President (for members of the Board and the Superintendent) and by the Superintendent (for all others) prior to the stay.
Persons traveling on district–related business are expected to secure the most reasonable rate for necessary meals. If cost of meals is predetermined by the organization sponsoring the event, the district will reimburse up to that amount.
The district does not reimburse persons traveling on district-related business for personal expenses including, but not limited to, pay television, hotel health club facilities, alcoholic beverages, theater and show tickets, and telephone calls and transportation costs unrelated to district business.
All other expenses must be related to district business and approved by the appropriate administrator on the prescribed documented claim form. Sales tax is non-reimbursable inasmuch as the school district is a tax-exempt governmental entity. Personal tips are not reimbursable.
Employees should issue purchase orders for reasonably anticipated expenses and submit original receipts with the applicable purchase number for reimbursement. Claim forms for mileage reimbursements expected to be less than $250.00 annually are acceptable.
Adopted: October 28, 1975
Amended: January 23, 2006
Amended: May 20, 2013
Amended: March 28, 2016