COVID-19: NCCSD to Adopt Test out of Quarantine (Updated 11/29)
Testing out of Quarantine
The Albany County Department of Health (DOH) has issued updated guidance regarding the quarantine period for unvaccinated students and staff who are deemed a direct contact of a person who is positive for COVID.
The North Colonie Central School District (CSD) administration has reviewed this guidance and we will adopt the new measures effective Monday, November 29, 2021.
Please note that this test out guidance does not apply to direct contacts based on an exposure in the home. This guidance only applies to direct exposures at school and/or work.
The current quarantine period for unvaccinated individuals exposed to COVID is ten (10) days from the date of exposure. Previously, individuals who were placed in quarantine did not have any opportunity to “test out” of quarantine, and therefore had to fulfill the full ten (10) day requirement.
Albany County DOH’s new guidance loosens this restriction and allows asymptomatic individuals placed in quarantine to “test out” of the full ten (10) day requirement.
Testing Out of Quarantine:
Asymptomatic unvaccinated individuals can now “test out” of quarantine. Starting no sooner than the morning of Day 6, asymptomatic individuals can take a lab-based PCR test (i.e. via Quadrant). Note: Rapid test are not acceptable at this time. If the test results are negative, the individual can finish their quarantine period at the end of day seven (7). This allows the individual to end quarantine a full three (3) days sooner and return to school or work at this time.
Date of Exposure: 12/1/2021
Ten day quarantine period: 12/2/21 – 12/12/21 (midnight)
Test on day six (6): 12/7/2021
Negative test result received
New last day of quarantine: 12/8/2021 (midnight)
Date out of quarantine: 12/9/21 – can return to work/school
If Symptoms Occur:
If an unvaccinated individual presents with symptoms any time during the quarantine period, they will not be permitted to “test out” of quarantine. Testing out of quarantine is only for individuals who remain asymptomatic for the entire period of time.
Continued Vigilance If Testing Out of Quarantine:
- If an individual is able to test out of quarantine, they must agree to the following conditions:
- Masks: Mask wearing must be adhered to for the full duration of the ten (10) day quarantine period, whenever in the presence of other people, whether indoors or outdoors. Exceptions – actively eating or drinking.
- Symptom monitoring: If, during the quarantine period, the individual starts to develop COVID symptoms, they must self-isolate and seek testing.
- If the test is positive, they will need to quarantine for ten (10) days from the date the symptoms started.
- If the test is negative, they will need to quarantine for fourteen (14) days from the date of last exposure.
- Social distancing: Individuals should stay at least six (6) feet from other people (or 3 feet as appropriate in a school setting), avoid crowds, poorly ventilated spaces and public transportation/ride sharing/taxis.
- Personal Hygiene and Environmental Cleaning: handwashing, use of hand sanitizer and cleaning/disinfecting of spaces must be done routinely.
North Colonie CSD is hopeful that these new guidelines will allow our unvaccinated students and staff to return to the school community as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact your school nurse or Michael Michela.
Albany County DOH 7 day test out