Last week, the district surveyed the Class of 2020 seniors and their parents/guardians on which type of graduation they would like to have, given the current circumstances. The survey closed on Wednesday afternoon and nearly 600 individuals provided feedback. The results are as follows:
Total responses: 592
- Students: 313 (52.9%)
- Parents/guardians: 279 (47.1%)
Option 1: 513 (86.7%)
- On Friday, June 19, students would come to the high school and receive their yearbooks, as well as any awards they may have earned and turn in Chromebooks/any school textbooks or library books.
- On Saturday, June 27, Graduation/Senior Send-Off event at Shaker High School where graduates and their families would drive through the school campus for a celebratory event with a live DJ and teachers in attendance to wave goodbye and distribute a variety of keepsakes from the school, including a class t-shirt and poster.
- On June 27, graduates would also cross a stage in their cap & gown and receive their diploma. A professional photographer would be there to take photos as a keepsake. Only students would be allowed to get out of the car. This part would be livestreamed for anyone who could not attend.
- A virtual graduation video with student photos, speeches and highlights from their high school days would be released in July or August.
Option 2: 79 (13.3%)
- On Friday, June 19, Senior Send-Off event at Shaker High School. In addition to dropping off supplies and picking up awards, we would celebrate the Class of 2020 with a celebratory event with a live DJ and teachers in attendance to wave goodbye and distribute a variety of keepsakes from the school, including a class t-shirt and poster.
- On Saturday, June 27, a virtual graduation video with photos, speeches and highlights from their high school days would be released.
- If allowable, on Tuesday, Aug. 11, a stage crossing ceremony would take place at the Times Union Center. If an August ceremony could not take place due to health department regulations, diplomas would be mailed home.
As a result of this feedback, we will move forward with the drive-thru graduation on Saturday, June 27 at Shaker High School. We are working with the Senior Class Officers on a number of ideas to make this celebratory event memorable for our seniors and their families. We will share specific details about the event in the coming weeks.
We’d also like you to mark your calendars for Friday, June 19. On the 19th, seniors will come to Shaker High School to return any items to the school (Chromebooks, library books, textbooks, etc.). Students will also receive their yearbooks and any awards they may have earned.
If your student or family needs transportation for the events on June 19 and/or June 27, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and we can make arrangements for you.
We know this is not how any of us imagined celebrating our seniors, but we will do everything we can to make the event on June 27 one to remember! Thank you for your continued patience, support and understanding as we worked through a number of scenarios for graduation during this ever-evolving situation.