North Colonie educators believe that reading during summer vacation contributes significantly to a student’s academic growth and lifelong reading pleasure. As a result, all Shaker High School students are required to complete the following assignments:
- Students enrolled in 9H, 10H, 11H, and Reading Literature (University in the High School), must read two books – one required book and one of their choosing from the appropriate grade level list.
- Students in Advanced Placement English Literature read two books – one required, and one novel of literary merit.
- For this assignment, select and read a novel or play of literary merit. Choose and read one of the following titles. Essays from the New York Times Book Review are linked to each title so that you can get a sense of each author’s goals in terms of character, theme, and language use. Some of these books include adult subjects and language; please be sure to read the reviews, which provide contexts for the authors’ choices, before you decide upon a book. Each book offers a unique perspective on individual identity within society, which is a topic we will discuss as we start the school year.
- Students in Advanced Placement Language and Composition read two required non-fiction works.
- Students enrolled in 9R, 9B, 10R, 10B, 11R, 11B, and senior electives must read two books – from the appropriate grade level list.
The suggested reading lists are designed to provide a wide range of selections for various reading levels and interests. For summer reading to be an enjoyable experience, the books chosen should be appropriate for the student both in terms of content and level of difficulty.
Please note that while there is no written assignment to be completed during the summer, students will be given a graded assignment when they return to school in the fall. Summer reading should be done carefully. Students should note key ideas either directly in their copies of the books or on post-it notes.
Reading packets will also be available in the guidance office, media center, and main office at Shaker High School. Please contact English Department Supervisor Pamela Burns at Shaker High School, 785-5511, ext. 3368, or email with any questions about the assignment.