SHS graduation information
Attention Shaker High School 2018 graduates, parents, guardians and guests:
On Saturday, June 23, 2018, at 10:00 A.M. at the SEFCU Arena (University at Albany Campus) Shaker High School will hold its Sixtieth Commencement Ceremony honoring the graduates of the Class of 2018. This ceremony brings our school and community together to recognize this important milestone. We wish to remind our students of the importance of this event and the honor that this commencement holds for each graduate. As such, we expect all of our students to act in a manner that not only reflects the importance of this ceremony but also respects the accomplishments of their classmates. Students whose behavior interferes with or disrupts the graduation or reflects negatively on themselves, school, or family, will not have their diploma presented to them on the day of graduation and they will risk removal from the ceremony.
Parents and guardians, please take the opportunity to discuss with your child appropriate behavioral expectations as they are representing both their school and your family.
A map with directions to the SEFCU arena and the Dutch Gold parking lot is available to download, click here.
We encourage all of you to arrive early to the ceremony to allow for traffic and parking. The University requires all bags be checked by college security when entering graduation. To save time entering, consider not bringing a bag. A shuttle bus from the Dutch Quad lot will begin at 8:15 a.m. A return shuttle bus will also be available at the completion of the commencement.
Please contact Mrs. Heidelmark in the Taft Hall Office (785-5511, Ext. 3411) if seating for a disabled guest is needed (available on ground floor, 1st row).
- If you have a family member who must be dropped off close to the arena, there is a ”drop off” area on the west side of the Dutch Quad. This drop off is behind the arena between SEFCU and the Physical Education building.
- Please note that no beach balls or balloons are allowed in the arena. This is a fire regulation. The University has asked that you comply with this regulation.
If you have any questions about the ceremony, please contact the Taft Hall office.
Important Reminders for Graduates
- Seniors who owe detention hours must complete those hours by June 21, 2018 . Failure to do so will result in disbarment from graduation rehearsal and graduation.
- All book fines must be paid in full prior to graduation day (payment to Mrs. Apple in the Main Office).
Graduation rehearsal will be held promptly on Friday, June 22 from 1:00 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at the University at Albany SEFCU Arena.
- As per Board of Education policy, all graduating seniors must attend rehearsal if they plan to participate in the commencement ceremony. Please let Mrs. Heidelmark know if you will not be participating.
- Students should assemble in the practice gym on the concourse level at 12:30 p.m. Students will not be allowed to leave prior to the conclusion of practice.
- Caps and gowns are not needed for the rehearsal.
- Please park in the SEFCU Arena or Dutch Quad parking lots. Speed limits and illegal parking are closely monitored on campus – please drive carefully and pay attention to traffic signs.
Graduation ceremony will be held on Saturday, June 23 at 10:00 a.m. at the University at Albany SEFCU Arena, Albany, New York.
- Seniors should assemble in the practice gym on the concourse level by 9:00 a.m. All student handbags and jackets will be checked prior to entry into the ceremony.
- Students will process promptly at 9:45 a.m. to the SEFCU Arena – we are unable to wait for students arriving late.
- Tickets are not required for parents and family members attending the ceremony.
- It is critical that students are on time for rehearsal and graduation – please plan ahead so that you are on time and allow for traffic and parking.
* ALL ATTENDEES bags will be screened before entering the SEFCU Arena. It is advisable to arrive early, or not bring any bags to the graduation.
Graduation Ceremony Dress Code:
Graduation is a formal occasion and appropriate dress is required. The following dress code is expected of students:
- Collared shirt, tie recommended; long pants (no shorts), shoes ( no sneakers); dress shoes/dress sandals, dress or sundress appropriate for a formal occasion.
- No tape or writing on caps or gowns.
- Students may not wear any regalia other than school approved, reflecting a Shaker High School distinction. Students may not decorate their caps. Please support us in this effort as we do not want an uncomfortable situation as students process to the arena. This event should be a celebration and recognition of the hard work and accomplishments of the students.
- Students dressed inappropriately for the occasion will not be allowed to process and participate in the graduation ceremony.
Thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you at the graduation ceremony.
Taft Hall Principal
Richard W. Murphy