Welcome to the Shaker High School Summer School Program webpage! Summer school is scheduled to begin on Monday, July 9, 2018 and is available to any student that resides in the North Colonie Central School District regardless of what school the student attends. Students participate in summer school for a variety of reasons. The most common include:
- To earn credit for a course failed during the school year
- To review for an August Regents exam
- To improve a course grade
- To repeat a course when credit has been lost
Walk-In Exam Registration Procedures
In an effort to make sure that all students have the necessary supports and accommodations during the August Regents Exams, the process for registering students for these exams has been updated. In order for students to be able to register for an exam, the following must be completed:
- Home School School Counselor must pre-register the student via an online form. The form can be accessed at https://goo.gl/pt4ctw. The following information is required:
- School District
- Student Name
- School Counselor/Administrator Name
- School Counselor/Administrator Contact Information
- Exams registering to take
- If student has an IEP, 504, or ENL Support/Translator
**Please note: If the student requires any support, accommodations, modifications, etc. as outlined by an IEP, 504, etc. that document MUST BE PROVIDED when the student registers to take the walk-in exam at Shaker High School. Students that receive support but do not provide appropriate documentation will not be able to register until they do so.
- Walk-In Registration form, payment and any required documents (IEP, 504, etc) must be completed and brought to Shaker High School by the walk-in registration deadline. Registration will be from Monday, July 9 through Wednesday, July 11 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
**Please note: Registration will CLOSE at 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 11 – LATE registration will not be accepted.
Summer School Program General Information
The Shaker High School Summer School program:
- Provides remediation in courses in the core content areas of English, Math, Science and Social Studies that are required for graduation. The type and amount of each course offered varies each summer and depends on student demand and available program funding.
- Gives students the opportunity to complete the required ½ credit of Health Education to make room in their regular school schedule to accommodate additional advanced elective pursuits. **Please note: This option is available to rising juniors and seniors ONLY.
- Provides at least 45 hours of instruction and the administration of the NYS Regents Examinations in August.
- Typically has 28 instructional days with class periods lasting 98 minutes in duration.
- Provides “walk-in” Regents Examination administration services to eligible students who are not enrolled in the summer program, but desire to improve a past score and/or pass an exam. Walk-in services are available to non-North Colonie students who meet eligibility requirements and remit a registration fee of $50 per Regents Examination. There is no fee for North Colonie residents.
Summer School Attendance and Participation
Students receive one participation point for each day of active class participation, up to 28 points. In addition to the prescribed academic expectations and course requirements, students are required to have a minimum of twenty-five (25) participation points in order to receive a grade in a summer school course.
- Students who miss more than the equivalent of three class days will lose credit for that course.
- Students failing to attend class for any reason, including suspension, will not receive a participation point for that class period.
- Students missing a portion of an instructional period will lose half a participation point for up to 20 minutes of absence and a full participation point for absences exceeding 20 minutes.
- If your child needs to attend summer school, please plan vacations to avoid missing class time.
- In order to qualify for summer school, a student who has lost credit during the school year must have attended that course for at least 60 percent of the classes.
Summer School Important Dates
- Summer School Registration: Wednesday, June 27 and Thursday, June 28 – 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- First Day of Summer School Classes: Monday, July 9
- Walk-in Regents Exam Registration Ends: Wednesday, July 11 at 1:00 p.m.
- Local Summer School Examinations: Tuesday, August 14 and Wednesday, August 15
- NYS Regents Examinations: Thursday, August 16 and Friday, August 17
**Please note: NYS Regents Exams – Morning exams begin at 8:00 a.m. and afternoon exams begin at 12:00 p.m.
For additional information regarding the Shaker High School Summer School Program please review the following documents (provided below):
- 2018 Summer School Newsletter
- 2018 Summer School Key Dates
- 2018 August Regents Exam Schedule. **Please note: Regents exams at Shaker High School begin at 8:00 am for morning exams and 12:00 pm for afternoon exams.
- Registration form for Regents Exam Walk-ins
If you have any questions regarding enrollment and eligibility, please contact your guidance counselor. For all other inquiries, please feel free to contact Brenna Muldoon via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at (518) 785-5511, Ext. 3695 before July 9 and after August 17. While summer school is in session (July 9 through August 17) please call the summer school office phone extension at 3441 or 3442. Thank you!
Summer School Principal, Shaker High School
(518) 785-5511, Ext. 3695