Mr. Eric Phillips
(518) 785-5511, ext. 3313
Please read this information carefully before signing up.
Please check the list of dates to make sure you are available for all scheduled classes and Drives. NYSDMV and NYSED law mandates, 16 ninety-minute drives and 16 ninety-minute classes plus a mandated parent and student orientation. Students may not miss any classes or drives to receive the certificate.
The Shaker High School Driver Education course is offered three times each year to students who hold a NYS DMV Learners Permit or License. It is offered during the, fall, spring, and summer terms. Students are enrolled via online sign-ups. The course is open to all Shaker High School students first, and then to other students if openings remain. The course consists of 24 hours of classroom instruction and 24 hours of in-car instruction. Upon completion, students receive both the NYS DMV “Five-Hour Certificate” and the MV285 certificate used for insurance reduction and license upgrade.
There are a limited number of spots each semester. Shaker High School students will be registered first. If there is room, students will be accepted from other schools. Shaker High School students will be scheduled in order from the online registration. You will be notified by email of your classroom and drive time. Once notified, you will have two days to bring a check or money order to Shaker High School room C104 between 7 and 8AM to secure your spot. The check or money order in the amount of $450 should be payable to NCCS. (North Colonie Central Schools).
Note: Driver Education is a self-funded program and the tuition pays the program expenses.
Cash cannot be accepted. Reduced tuition is available for North Colonie residents who participate in the free and reduced lunch program. If you have any questions, please email Eric Phillips.
Registration Link will open on Tuesday, June 4 at 8:00 a.m.
Important Registration information needed to register
- Students will need their license or permit number to register.
- Please enter nine digit number in the format: ### ### ###
- (Space needed between digit 3 and 4. Space between digit 6 and 7)
- Enter name and all other info as on the permit or license.
- You will be asked for a preference of Classroom and Drive: (This is not guaranteed)
- Every day 90 Minutes done by Noon. (Class and drive scheduled between 7:30 and 12 PM)
- Every day 90 minutes, late start. (Class and drive scheduled between 9AM and 1:30 PM)
- Every other day for 3 hours. Done by noon. (Scheduled between 7:30AM and noon)
- Every other day for 3 hours with a late start. (Scheduled between 9AM and 1:30)
Mandatory Orientation: Monday, June 24 at 5:30 p.m. in the Shaker Auditorium.
Registration link (click here) will open on Tuesday, June 4th at 8:00 a.m.
Driver Education Fall 2019
Information for fall 2019 will be posted between August 19th and September 1st.