Madison VanDenburg’s American Idol Hometown Hero visit: Information, Parking, Shuttles, Concert, and more
Dear Members of the Colonie Community:
We are excited to share with you that Shaker High School student and Boght Hills and Shaker Junior High alumna, Madison VanDenburg, is a finalist on American Idol! The American Idol production team is flying to Colonie to film Madison’s hometown and honor her on Tuesday, May 14. We would love for you to join us as we support Madison. Here is what we have planned:
Pep Rally at Shaker High School (for Shaker High School students only)
- A pep rally at the high school for Shaker High School students will take place at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 14. Due to space limitations, this is open to high school students only.
- The media is invited to attend the pep rally. Media should arrive at Shaker High School by 12:30 p.m. Media will stay outside for Madison’s arrival. They should not enter the building until the outdoor chorus performance concludes. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your attendance.
Parade/Performance at The Crossings of Colonie (open to the public)
- For our entire community, a parade and performance to celebrate Madison’s journey to the finale will be held at the The Crossings of Colonie (rain or shine). The parade will begin at approximately 4:15 p.m. and will travel from Metro Park Road into the Crossings. Madison will then perform for the community. There will be no backpacks or coolers allowed into The Crossings. Shaker students can leave their backpacks in their lockers at school and retrieve them when they return after the event.
There will be no parking at The Crossings except for media, volunteers and deliveries. The entrance to The Crossings at Albany-Shaker Road will be closed to all traffic beginning at 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 14.
Media should arrive at The Crossings by 3:45 p.m. and must have their credentials to enter.
To make travel easier, we will be running shuttle buses provided by CDTA.
The North Colonie Central School District is pleased to inform you that the Capital District Transportation Authority (“CDTA”) will be providing transportation to members of the public from 2:30 – 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 14, 2019, from the Shaker High School parking lot to The Crossings of Colonie for the celebration of the continued success of Madison VanDenburg on the national singing competition show, American Idol. CDTA buses will also be available to transport members of the community from The Crossings back to the Shaker High School parking lot at the conclusion of the event. Neither the transportation generously provided by CDTA nor the event at The Crossings is sponsored or affiliated with the School District.
- Parking will be available with Shuttle Service from Shaker High School. If parking is filled at Shaker, community members can park at Our Lady of Assumption (498 Watervliet-Shaker Road) and board the shuttle there. Shuttles will run at 2:30, 3:00, 3:15, 3:30 and 3:45 and return after the performance. This shuttle is handicap accessible.
- All shuttles will run continuously from the following locations listed below beginning at 3:00 p.m. and return after the performance.
- Parking will be available with Shuttle Service from the north lot of Macy’s at Colonie Center. This is the lot located across from Staybridge Suites. This shuttle is handicap accessible. This shuttle will start at 3:00 p.m.
- Parking will be available with Shuttle Service from Sand Creek School on Sand Creek Road. This shuttle is handicap accessible. This shuttle will start at 3:30 p.m.
- Parking will be available with Shuttle Service at Shaker Road Fire Station on Albany-Shaker Rd. Please note, this shuttle is not handicap accessible. This shuttle will start at 3:00 p.m.
Designated Parking (Without Shuttles)
- Beltrone Event Parking Lot (lot before the Beltrone Center)
- Ciccotti Family Recreation Center
The Crossings at Colonie entrance on Albany-Shaker Road will be closed to all vehicles beginning at 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 14 until Wednesday, May 15.
The intersection of Metro Park Road and Aviation Rd will be closed for approximately a half hour between 4:00 and 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 14 for the parade.
We are all excited to welcome Madison back to her hometown. We hope you are able to join us in the celebration and filming of Madison’s hometown visit on May 14!
Paula Mahan, Town of Colonie Supervisor
D. Joseph Corr, North Colonie CSD Superintendent