Forts Ferry back to school newsletter
First Day of School
Grades K-6: Monday, September 9
Note: Kindergarten students will be starting on the first day with other students.
Hours of School Day
- Doors Open – 8:40 a.m.
- Students Tardy – 8:50 a.m.
- Classes Begin – 9:00 a.m.
- Dismissal of Walkers – 3:15 p.m.
- Bus Dismissal Begins – Approx. 3:15 p.m.
Meet Your Teacher
Would you like to meet your teacher and visit the school before the first day of school?
Please visit us on Friday, September 6 from 1:30-2:30 p.m.
If you ordered a School Tool Box for your child, you will be able to pick up the kits during this time as well. We look forward to seeing you!
Open House Dates
- Grades 2 & 3: Wednesday, September 11, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Grades K & 5: Thursday, September 12, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Grade 1: Tuesday, September 17, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Grades 4 & 6: Wednesday, September 18, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Lunch and Breakfast Programs
Your child could be eligible for free or reduced breakfast and lunch. Please take advantage of this confidential service. View the application form and information on the district website.
Substitute Lunch/Recess Monitors Needed
Hours: 10:15 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. on days when needed.
Please contact the main office at 518-785-9203 for more information.
We have two staffing changes at Forts Ferry for the coming school year.
- Miss Jackie Guba will be moving from first grade to second grade.
- Miss Emma Ladouceur will join our school as our general music teacher.
What is new at Forts Ferry?
“Making of a New Fort”
We will continue to implement the program introduced last year at Forts Ferry Elementary School. This program focuses on promoting respectful and responsible behavior while assisting students as they grow as people and as learners. Parts of the program that we will be retaining will be incentives for following the five basic school-wide rules.
At the Fort, we strive to
- Follow directions the first time
- Keep hands and objects to self
- Use appropriate language/talk nicely to others
- Leave area how you found it or better
- Be on time and be prepared
We will also be continuing the Roar Store. The store has been a big hit with both students and staff members.
Forts Ferry Elementary School’s slogan for the year will be “Be Positive”. Students, staff and parents are asked to act and behave in a manner so that we are proud to be a member of the Forts Ferry community. We are striving to create an environment where we all feel as if we are part of a team working together to make our school a welcoming, supportive and productive place for all members of the school community – a true learning environment for everyone.
In addition, all members of the school community are encouraged to look for the many positives of our school including:
- Staff members who care about and work hard for our students
- Strong curricula and many, many instructional resources and materials
- Great building and playgrounds and safe surroundings
- Wonderful activities and programs for students
- A supportive PTA
- Having friends and family for support and assistance
We will be offering a t-shirt sale in September for our theme of “Be Positive”. The order form will be sent home once the new school year begins.
“The Ride for Missing Children”
Date: Friday, September 20
Forts Ferry Elementary School will again be participating in a wonderful community-based program on Friday, September 20th. The Mohawk Valley office of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC-NY/Capital Region) is hosting “The Ride for Missing Children”.
On Friday, September 20, Friend of Missing Children will ride their bikes 100 miles to honor all missing children, raise public awareness about missing children and the need for child-safety education and to raise funds for support the efforts related to missing children. We are proud to announce that Forts Ferry Elementary School has been selected and one of the “rest stops” for the riders of this event. We feel very fortunate to be taking part in such an important event for the fourth year in a row. We are extremely proud to announce that there will be eight riders who are teachers, parents or friends of Forts Ferry School. The following individuals will be riding on September 20th: Kari Bennett, Sheila Carrol, Dena Delude, Lauren Dickinson, Dave Floyd, Jackie Guba, Maggie Guglielmi, and Candace Lobdell. Congratulations and good luck!!
In conjunction with “The Ride for Missing Children”, students and staff will also participate in child-safety education activities and presentations. More information will be sent home once school begins.
Global Read Aloud
During the upcoming school year, Forts Ferry students and staff will be participating in Global Read Aloud.
The goal of the Global Read Aloud program is to use books to connect to the world. Books are selected for grade levels and focus on the themes of tolerance, diversity and kindness. Recommended books are being purchased for teachers to read to their students as well as to find opportunities to connect the classroom both locally and globally. The program will run from September 30 – November 8. More information will be send home once school begins. Much appreciation is extended to the Forts Ferry PTA for the support of this program. Thank you to Mrs. Lansing, our librarian/media specialist, for bringing this program to Forts Ferry.
Student Drop-Off & Pick-Up Procedures
In an effort to alleviate the extreme congestion and often slow drop-off of students in the morning, a student drop-off process was adopted a number of years ago. We will be following the same drop-off process again this year. If you will be dropping your child off in the morning, please take the time to review this information.’ Other pertinent information follows.
Student Drop-Off Guidelines
- Student Drop-Off begins at 8:40 a.m. Please do not drop off your student before 8:40 a.m. since there will be no supervision prior to this time.
- Students are to remain in the designated “Student Drop-Off Area” until the doors open at 8:40 a.m. Students are not permitted to walk around the outside of the building to reach the main entrance of the building. Students will enter the building at the gym entrance when the bell rings and proceed to their classrooms from this point of entry.
- When dropping off students, parents/adults are to remain in their vehicles. If an adult wishes to escort his/her child into the school, the adult must park the car in a parking space. At no time should a car be left unattended or parked in the “Student Drop-Off” lane.
- Do not pass any cars once you enter the drop-off area. You must wait until all students are dropped off in the cars ahead of you before proceeding to the exit. Students disembark from both sides of the vehicles and will need the right-of-way to move around the car to the safe area by the building.
- During arrival and unloading of buses, no vehicles are permitted to drive in the bus loop.
Student Pick-Up Guidelines
- Student Pick-Up begins at 3:15 p.m. Please do not pick-up your child any earlier than 3:00 p.m. as the instructional day is from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Students being picked up by an adult will be dismissed from the auditorium or cafeteria. All adults picking up children will be asked to convene in the auditorium or cafeteria. He/she will sign the student out while waiting in the auditorium or cafeteria.
- Any adults picking up students should not park in the bus loop. Cars should not be driven though the bus loop after 3:00 p.m. or if a bus is parked in the loop. Adults should park in the parking lot parallel to Forts Ferry Road or by the tennis courts.
Your cooperation and patience when implementing these procedures are greatly appreciated. Please contact Dr. Lobdell at 518-785-9203 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have concerns or suggestions.
Please don’t forget to record your minutes of reading on the Town of Colonie Reading Program. Who will be reading more this summer – Forts Ferry students or staff members?
Enjoy the remainder of the summer. I am looking forward to another great school year and seeing everyone return to school on September 9th.
Category: Archive, Forts Ferry