The district is a central hub of activity in the community, particularly as it relates to educational and recreational opportunities available to children. This page is used for informational purposes only. For more information about the activities and organizations listed below, please use the contact information provided with each entry. If you have a community announcement you would like posted, please email NancyMason@ncolonie.org.
- If your organization has a flyer you would like distributed or an announcement for the Community Announcement Page, please allow two to three weeks lead time in sending to make sure it gets posted/distributed in a timely manner. Please send these requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
16th Annual Crossings 5K Challenge
Ideal for runners of all ages and skill levels! FUN FOR ALL! MUSIC, FOOD, KIDS ZONE, AWARDS! Children ages 13 and under can even participate in a quarter mile fun run or can compete in the chip-timed 1-mile run. There will be plenty of activities and fun in our Kids Zone before and after their race! Proceeds will benefit the Colonie Youth Center, supporting children and families in our community. Registration forms available here
- Race starts and ends behind CYC’s Ciccotti Center
- Registration and packet pick-up begins at 8 a.m.
- Kids Zone opens at 9 a.m.
- 5K Challenge Run/Walk (chip-timed): 9:30 a.m.
- Kids 1/4 Mile Fun Run: 10:15 a.m. (est.)
- Kids 1 Mile, Competitive Run (chip-timed): 10:15 a.m. (est.)
2019-20 North Colonie Youth Girls Basketball Program Tryouts
Tryouts will be held to determine who is chosen for the teams. Each child is highly encouraged to attend both tryouts, but attendance at one of the tryouts is mandatory to be considered for a team. Tryouts will be held on Wednesday, September 25 and Thursday, September 26 at Shaker Junior High School, 475 Watervliet-Shaker Rd., Latham.
- 3rd grade 5:30 – 6:30 pm Shaker Jr HS Old Gym
- 4th grade: 5:30 – 6:30 pm Shaker Jr HS New Gym
- 5th grade: 6:30 – 7:45 pm Shaker Jr HS Old Gym
- 6th grade: 6:30 – 7:45 pm Shaker Jr HS New Gym
- 7th grade: 7:45 – 9 pm Shaker Jr HS Old Gym
- 8th grade: 7:45 – 9 pm Shaker Jr HS New Gym
Register online here. Each child should arrive for their designated tryout at least 15 minutes prior to their scheduled tryout time, please come dressed to tryout (shorts, shirt, basketball sneakers and a water bottle).
North Colonie Boys CDYBL Basketball Program
Tryouts will be held at Shaker Junior High School on Wednesday, Sept. 18 and Thursday, Sept. 19. There is a $25 tryout fee (cash only, nonrefundable). The two tryouts will be held to determine who is chosen for the teams. Each child is highly encouraged to attend both tryouts, but attendance at one of the tryouts is mandatory to be considered for a team. View flyer for more information. Questions? Contact Director Steve Novotny at email@example.com.
Athletic Haven: Camps, Clinics, Teams
- Happening this fall: Open gym every Thursday from 6:45-8:15 p.m. at School 12 in Troy (except for holidays and school breaks).
- Sports clinics will be held monthly from 6:45-8:15 at School 12 on:
- Tuesday, Sept. 17 – Basketball
- Tuesday, Oct. 15 – Basketball
- Tuesday, Nov. 19 – Softball
- Tuesday, Dec. 17 – Performance Fitness
- Travel team tryouts for 12U and 14U AAU basketball begin January 2020
- ALL PROGRAMS ARE FREE! Registration and signed waiver required.
- Visit www.athletichaven.org for more information or follow our Facebook page for the latest news and events!
Coaches needed for Shaker Rowing Association!
Shaker Rowing Association, (AKA Crew Club), is looking for coaches! Coaches will be working with 7th-12th grade rowers on stroke and technique, running practices on water and workouts on land, and supervising rowers at regattas. Practices are from 4-6:30 p.m. on weeknights, with some practices and regattas on weekends during spring and fall seasons. Summer and winter training is also a possibility. Prior coaching and rowing experience is preferred but not required. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Share your love of rowing with the next generation! Please send resumes and inquiries to Lisa Merolle at ShakerCrewInfo@gmail.com. If there is anyone you know that might be interested, please forward to them.
UPK at the Maplewood School
Kids Express now offers Universal Pre-K (UPK) at the Maplewood School in Watervliet! Children must be four years old by December 1st, 2019 to be eligible. If your child meets this age requirement, you are invited to fill out an application on our website. For more information, call (518) 328-0430, or email KidsExpressInfo@gmail.com.
Albany County Dept. of Recreation: Free youth sports programs
Lacrosse – Albany County youths ages 7-11
- Ravena: Saturdays, Sept. 14 – Oct. 19, 4-6 p.m., Mosher Park
- Watervliet: Fridays, Sept. 20 – Oct. 25, 6-8 p.m., Watervliet Dome
Flag Football – Albany County youths ages 5-14
First hour for 5-7 year olds, second hour for 8-10 year olds, third hour for 11-14 year olds
- Watervliet: Wednesdays, Sept. 18 – Oct. 23, 6-9 p.m., Watervliet Dome
- Cohoes: Fridays, Sept. 20 – Oct. 25, 6-9 p.m., Lansing Park
- Green Island: Saturdays, Sept. 21 – Oct. 26, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Pain St. Park
Pre-registration is required! Please click here to pre-register.
For more information, call (518) 655-7948 or email here.