The district is a central hub of activity in the community, particularly as it relates to educational and recreational opportunities available to children. This Community Announcements page is provided as a service to parents for informational purposes only. For more information about the activities and organizations listed below, please use the contact information provided with each entry. If you have a community announcement you would like posted, please email NancyMason@ncolonie.org.
- If your organization has a flyer you would like distributed or an announcement for the Community Announcement Page, please allow two to three weeks lead time in sending to make sure it gets posted/distributed in a timely manner. Please send these requests to email@example.com.
SUNY Schenectady County Community College Summer 2019 Kid and Teen Academy
This summer community education program is open to kids and teens! Please visit the SCCC website for more information on programs, sign ups, and scholarship information!
Shaker Rowing Association is looking for Coaches
Shaker Rowing Association, (AKA Crew Club), is looking for Coaches. Coaches will be working with 7-12th grade rowers on stroke and technique, running practices on water and workouts on land, and supervising rowers at regattas. Practices are 4:00 – 6:30 p.m. weeknights with some practices and regattas on weekends during Spring and Fall seasons. Summer and Winter training is also a possibility. Prior coaching and rowing experience is preferred but not required. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Share your love of rowing with the next generation! Please send resumes and inquiries to Lisa Merolle, Shaker Rowing Association at ShakerCrewInfo@gmail.com. If there is anyone you know that might be interested, please forward to them.
Summer Art Camps at the Arts Center of the Capital Region
State-of-the-art Studios. Professional Artist Instructors. Explore Downtown Troy.
The Art Camps will be held Monday-Friday, June 24-August 30, 2019. There are Kids Camps (ages 6-8), Big Kids Camps (ages 9-11), Pre-Teen Camps (ages 11-13), and Teen Camps (ages 14-17).
- Culinary Exploration
- Digital Illustration/Design
- Interactive Public Art Camps
- Stained Glass
- Stop Motion Animation
- And More!
- One or Two Week Sessions
- Half Day Sessions (Ages 6-8, 9:00 a.m. – noon)
- Full Day Sessions (Ages 6-17, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
- Before Care (8:00 – 9:00 a.m.)
- After Care (4:00 – 5:00 p.m.)
- Pizza Day Thursdays
- Troy Discovery Sessions
Scholarships are available! See the Art Center of the Capital Region’s website for details. To Register, visit their website or call 518-273-0552.
Calvary United Methodist Preschool Information
The Calvary United Methodist Preschool is currently accepting students. Learn more about the program and download the registration form.
Cohoes Head Start has openings for 3-4 year olds
The Head Start program in Cohoes currently has some openings for 3- and 4-year-old children. Head Start offers a high-quality preschool program for low-income families. View the flyer for details.
UPK at the Maplewood School
Kids Express now offers Universal Pre-K (UPK) at the Maplewood School in Watervliet! Children must be four years old by December 1st, 2019 to be eligible. If your child meets this age requirement, you are invited to fill out an application on our website. For more information, call (518) 328-0430, or email KidsExpressInfo@gmail.com.
Albany County Department of Recreation presents Free Youth Sports Programs
Karate – for Albany County youths ages 5-14
- Ravena: Mondays, 6:15 – 7:15pm, Pieter B. Coeymans Elementary School, 66 Church Street
- Berne: Tuesdays, 6:00 – 7:00pm, BKW Elementary School, 1738 Helderberg Trail
- Clarksville: Tuesdays, 6:00 – 7:00pm, Sheriff’s Department, 58 Verda Avenue
- Colonie: Wednesdays, 6:30 – 7:30pm, Maywood Elementary School, 1979 Central Avenue
- Watervliet: Thursdays, 6:00 – 7:00pm, Watervliet Dome, 1300 2nd Avenue
- Cohoes: Fridays, 6:00 – 7:00pm, Cohoes Middle School, 7 Bevan Street
Pre-registration is required! Please click here to pre-register.
For more information, call (518) 655-7948 or email here.
Fresh Air Fund
The Fresh Air Fund is looking for families to make a difference in New York City child’s life by inviting a child into their home for a week this summer. First time visitors are between the ages of 7 and 12. Host families may select the gender and approximate age of their visitor. Forge new friendships and inspire new perspectives. For more information check out FreshAir.org or call your local volunteer, Cindy Mangione, at 518-785-6176.