The district is a central hub of activity in the community, particularly as it relates to educational and recreational opportunities available to children. This Community Announcements page is provided as a service to parents for informational purposes only. For more information about the activities and organizations listed below, please use the contact information provided with each entry. If you have a community announcement you would like posted, please email NancyMason@ncolonie.org.
- If your organization has a flyer you would like distributed or an announcement for the Community Announcement Page, please allow two to three weeks lead time in sending to make sure it gets posted/distributed in a timely manner. Please send these requests to email@example.com.
RPI Exploring Engineer’s Day
Students in grades 3-6 and their parents are invited to attend a free half-day, hands-on program at RPI called Exploring Engineering Day! This annual program is held in celebration of National Engineers Week and is intended to help our youth better understand what engineers and computer scientists do.
The program will be held on Saturday, February 9, 2019 (snow date February 23). All attendees must register by December 17, 2018. Register online today! This program fills up quickly.
If you have difficulty accessing the registration page or if you want to verify that your child is registered, please email Julie Granata or call (518) 276-6203.
Albany County Department of Recreation Winter Festival
The Albany County Department of Recreation Winter Festival will take place on February 23, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. at Lawson Lake County Park, located at 293 Lawson Lake Road, Feura Bush, NY 12067.
Activities include ice skating, ice fishing, snowmobiling, snowshoe hikes, camp fire, s’mores, hot chocolate, face painting, and make your own para cord (survival bracelet) with LL Bean. Cross country skis and snowshoes are available to use.
All activities are subject to chance. For more information, call (518) 768-2560.
Calvary Methodist Preschool
- We are a play based preschool, centrally located in Latham
- For over 40 years we have focused on developing the child’s social skills through developmentally appropriate activities and play
- Our students learn what is necessary to become successful learners as they move on to elementary school
- We follow North Colonie’s calendar
Click here for more information.
Cohoes Head Start has openings for 3-4 year olds
The Head Start program in Cohoes currently has some openings for 3- and 4-year-old children. Head Start offers a high-quality preschool program for low-income families. View the flyer for details.
UPK at the Maplewood School
Kids Express now offers Universal Pre-K (UPK) at the Maplewood School in Watervliet! Children must be four years old by December 1st, 2018 to be eligible. If your child meets this age requirement, you are invited to fill out an application on our website. For more information, call (518) 328-0430, or email KidsExpressInfo@gmail.com.
Albany County Department of Recreation presents Free Youth Sports Programs
Karate – for Albany County youths ages 5-14
- Ravena: Mondays, 6:15 – 7:15pm, Pieter B. Coeymans Elementary School, 66 Church Street
- Berne: Tuesdays, 6:00 – 7:00pm, BKW Elementary School, 1738 Helderberg Trail
- Clarksville: Tuesdays, 6:00 – 7:00pm, Sheriff’s Department, 58 Verda Avenue
- Colonie: Wednesdays, 6:30 – 7:30pm, Maywood Elementary School, 1979 Central Avenue
- Watervliet: Thursdays, 6:00 – 7:00pm, Watervliet Dome, 1300 2nd Avenue
- Cohoes: Fridays, 6:00 – 7:00pm, Cohoes Middle School, 7 Bevan Street
Pre-registration is required! Please click here to pre-register.
For more information, call (518) 655-7948 or email here.
Fresh Air Fund
The Fresh Air Fund is looking for families to make a difference in New York City child’s life by inviting a child into their home for a week this summer. First time visitors are between the ages of 7 and 12. Host families may select the gender and approximate age of their visitor. Forge new friendships and inspire new perspectives. For more information check out FreshAir.org or call your local volunteer, Cindy Mangione, at 518-785-6176.