Cases of Pertussis (whooping cough) have been reported at Shaker High School. This disease is contagious and complications can occur.
The symptoms to look for are:
- Mild cough, fever, cold symptoms
- Within two weeks, the cough becomes more severe and is characterized by episodes of numerous rapid coughs followed by a crowing or high pitched whoop
If the above symptoms occur, the following suggestions will be helpful:
- Keep your child away from others
- Immediately notify your physician
- Notify the school’s health office
The incubation period of this disease is usually 5-10 days, but can be as long as 21 days. It can be transmitted to others by droplet or airborne spread without personal contact. Your child must stay home for five days of treatment with antibiotics.
Click here for more information from the Department of Health.
Shaker High School Health Office