Capital Project Update
During a May 23 public meeting, district administrators and members of the construction management and architect team gave a look back and look ahead at the capital project as it moves into the construction phase this summer. Click here for the presentation.
Since receiving voter approval in May 2017, planning for the district’s $106.3 million capital project has been underway. Several meetings took place as members of the district’s architectural and construction management team convened with faculty, administrators and building leaders. The groups met to share input for the design of the new and renovated learning spaces and classroom additions that are planned, as well as site work at the Shaker Junior High and Shaker High School campuses.
Throughout the summer of 2017, architects developed schematic drawings to share with teachers and school leaders in early fall. Based on this input, architects worked with district leaders to finalize the design plans for the first phases of construction. Final plans were submitted to the New York State Education Department (SED) for review in December 2017, and were approved in February 2018, allowing the district to capture the enhanced state aid on phases 1 and 2 of the project.
Given the green light from SED, public bidding of the construction work began and contracts were awarded this spring. 80 percent of the bids have been awarded and the project is four percent under budget.
“I’m very excited as the project gets underway,” said Superintendent Joseph Corr. “During the summer, we will see daily evidence of the construction progress which will reflect the hard work and dedication that has been put into the project. I am also ecstatic that the bidding and approval process has been successful so far, and that we are four percent under budget.”
Phase 1 and 2 include:
- Shaker Middle School
- Transportation facility
- Site work and athletic facilities work at SHS and Shaker Middle School
- Blue Creek, Boght Hills, and Southgate elementary schools
- Construction begins at Shaker Middle School, Blue Creek, Boght Hills, Southgate, and transportation facilities
- Site work at Shaker High School and Shaker Middle School campuses
- Improvements to traffic and bus lanes as well as parking lots
- Installation of a multi-sport artificial turf field
- Turf field will be completed by the start of the 2018 school year
- Four physical education classes at a time (from both SJHS and SHS) will use the field throughout the fall
- Football, field hockey and boys and girls soccer will also use the new field in the fall
- September 2020
- Anticipated 6th grade move to middle school
- Instructional space complete (except auditorium)
- December 2020
- Middle school auditorium completion
- September 2021
- Blue Creek, Boght Hills, Southgate complete
Phases 3 & 4
- Forts Ferry, Latham Ridge, and Loudonville elementary schools
- Shaker High School
Design work for phases 3 and 4 began in January 2018, with plans to be submitted to NYSED by February 2019.